4 December 2011

Feature: Euro 2012 Predictions

euro2012 draw (fifa_getty)
Image via FIFA/GettyImages

I have given some thoughts to the groups of Euro 2012 after the draw and feel like making some wild guesses. Feel free to disagree with my choices! ;)

Most Unpredictable Group: Group A

Group A consisting Poland, Greece, Russia, Czech
. Personally, I think this group can be quite tricky, simply because they don’t have a team that stands out. Yes, Russia looks like the strongest among all but the gap isn’t that big after all. So any combinations is possible for this group. We may see some new faces in quarter-finals. My prediction? Russia and Poland. The host always has some advantages, no?

Most Difficult Group: Group B

Everyone says Group B is the group of death which I think is very hard to disagree. How can a groups consisting Netherlands, Denmark, Germany, Portugal not being the hardest group, right? I feel sorry for Denmark as they are just purely unlucky. If they are in Group A, they could probably get through, but in this group, chances is more likely for them to stay at the bottom of the table. Among the three teams, I think Germany has the better chance, since their team are quite balanced, in a sense that they have excellent players from the back to the front. When it comes to Netherlands and Portugal, all I can recall was the World Cup game they were playing against each other and both teams received a large number of cards. As for which one will qualify to the next round, I think Netherlands has a better chance. So my prediction for this group is Germany and Netherlands.

Most Predictable Group: Group C

What do we have in Group C? Spain, Italy, Ireland and Croatia. Even being a Spain fan, I don’t see this group as easy as it seems. Spain is the strongest team, but somehow other teams managed to find ways to beat them. Recent friendlies result should be an alert to the world champion. Italy has reformed since World Cup but Ireland and Croatia are no easy teams. My prediction? Spain and Italy. Boooo. lol

Most Interesting Group: Group D

Ukraine, Sweden, France and England
. Why are they the most interesting group? Because they are somehow as unpredictable as Group A and the teams are more interesting to watch in this group. England should be everyone’s favorite but who will be the second team to qualify? As I have said earlier, host always has an advantage, plus Ukraine is not a weak team. Sweden too. France has improved since World Cup but how far can they go in the tournament is still a question mark. Prediction for the group? England, Sweden.


Feel free to comment on my predictions and we will know if I am correct by July 2012. Cheers.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails